Monday, January 11, 2016

For What It's Worth: My Opinion on 2016 Golden Globes Red Carpet Fashion

I know, I know, it's another roundup of Golden Globes fashion. But I'm sure many of you have been waiting patiently to hear my thoughts on the subject... Yes..? Anyone..?

I can summarize my thoughts for the celebrities who got it right with a few key phrases: "Jewel Tones", "Keep it Simple", "Proper Fit".

Want to make it work on the red carpet? First, pick a colour that flatters your skin tone. Thank goodness there were only a handful of attendees who chose that blah flesh tone that looks terrible on 99% of caucasian women. Second, don't try too hard; simplicity has its merits. If you try too hard it shows, and that's just not good. And finally, attend as many dress fittings as required to get the fit right. It makes me physically uncomfortable to watch a woman constantly adjust her dress, pulling it up or tugging it down. Always take a pass on an ill fitting gown.

With that said, these were my favourite gowns of this year's Golden Globes:

 Jennifer Lopez looked stunning in this Giambattista Valli gown.
Do you see what I'm talking about: Colour! Simplicity! Fit!

 Jaimie Alexander in Genny. I love the deep V, it's risky, and yet flattering.
Not to mention that emerald green complements her dark hair and green eyes.

 Jenna Dewan-Tatum in Zuhair Murad. Another flattering deep V neckline.
The metallic fabric keeps the dress interesting.

 
Olivia Wilde wearing a Michael Kors Collection gown. Such lovely sparkle!!
This halter neck gown with plunging deep V neckline fits like a glove.

Julianne Moore in Tom Ford. The fit of this dress is absolute perfection!
This sapphire column gown sparkles from every angle.

 Kate Bosworth in Dolce & Gabbana. More sparkle!! More colour!!
Doesn't Kate look pretty in pink?

 Amy Adams in Atelier Versace. The designers at Versace know how to fit a woman.
This dress walks the line between simple & sparkle.

 Kate Winslet in Ralph Lauren. Simple always wins.
The impeccable fit and strong shade of  sapphire make it work.

 Rachel Bloom in Christian Siriano. Jewel Tone: Check! Simplicity: Check! Perfect fit: Check!
Bonus points to Rachel for the most enthusiastic acceptance speech.

 Emmy Rossum in Armani Prive, accentuated by the Van Cleef & Arpels "Thetis" necklace.
The simple strapless gown relies on bold colour for a boost.

Sophia Bush in Narciso Rodriguez. Another perfect fit. She looks comfortable and it shows.
I kinda wish it wasn't black, but hey, it still makes my top 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments, plus it lets me know that you're reading!! Leave your message here :-)