Saturday, January 25, 2014

IDS 2014: The Bold & The Beautiful

As a design blogger, it's an annual highlight to attend the Interior Design Show at The Metro Toronto Convention Centre here in Toronto. The show is open to everyone and continues until Sunday January 26th (click HERE for tickets). There are so many great ideas for kitchens and baths, which is great if you're renovating, but since I'm in a condo that's just over a year old, my personal interests lie more with the "softer" side of the show.

Which participants "wowed" me this year? Hands down the top award goes to Ikea - it was one of the few booths (#926) that made me gasp just a little. The ensuite/dressing room vignette had me swooning at "hello"...

The Ikea booth designers had a vintage daybed upholstered in a 
sweet combination of the Berta Ruta check & whimsical Algort fabrics.

 

The mirrored gold tile was a showstopper - it was all over Instagram.
We should all have the nerve to try something like this at home.
GOLD = BOLD!!

 

Simple & sleek, Ikea's white Dalskar faucet is a rare creature.


Above the space hung a celestial grouping of Stockholm chandeliers.
The Ikea booth designers really know how to "wow" a crowd.

 

Sebastien, the creative director at Urban Barn, obviously loves his job. His vision for the company's IDS booth (#2234) was visually striking, whimsical and amusing all at once. The colour, the vignettes, the accessories...it all made me want to pay a visit to an Urban Barn location stat!!

Each vignette had a tagline, developed by the Urban Barn merchandising team.
Funny, right?



The bedroom vignette below was super feminine. I wish I had taken more photos.
Think creamy white with accents of soft grey & blush. Loved it!!


Cocoon Furnishings was another top contender for fabulous booth design (#1628). This interior design showroom has just launched the Aerin Lauder home decor & furniture collections, available in Ontario exclusively at their Oakville location. I wish I had more photos, but the booth was very popular and it was tough to get a good shot.

The Cocoon merchandisers always delight visitors with chic vignettes.
The green & gold scheme offers the promise of spring.


The entire Aerin collection is so chic, and yet so liveable.
On my wish list: That creamy shagreen tray. Love!!


With a small display (#SN18) in Studio North, Vancouver's Edgewater Studio always manages to make a big splash. Their glass tiles are enough to make me want to rip out a wall of perfectly good tile in my main bath and start over. Trust me, these tiles are just so good!!

The simplicity of this matte & gloss Honeycomb pattern drew me in.
This would be beyond amazing in my master bath ensuite shower.


I can think of so many ways to use this Maven tile.
Backsplash...Accent Wall...Inset niche...
Total showstopper!


 And how about this art glass Tiara tile?
So many possibilities!!


There is still so much inspiration at this show, even if you don't think you need it. Sometimes a small detail is just the spark needed to create warmth in a home.

Before I close off this post, I just want to mention a few others for beautiful booth design:

This booth (#740) had a special theme: Once Upon a Dream
Stunning!!


Everything, and I mean everything in this booth (#1510F) was covered with
Sarah's new fabric collection for Kravet.


The team at SRD must have spent many hours prepping all of these details.
That's a studded & fabric covered ladder below.


I loved this creative corner of the Masco Canada booth (#710).
The sleek & modern freestanding tub filler is a work of art.


Enjoy the show!!

All photos in this post were taken by Pamela Graham (me)
for Cherish Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments, plus it lets me know that you're reading!! Leave your message here :-)