Sunday, May 15, 2011

What I've Been Up To Lately

Have you been wondering where I've been for the past 6 weeks? It's an incredibly busy time of year for me at my "real" job, and it's obvious that my time management skills aren't up to snuff. With the exception of a few quick posts, I haven't been able to spend much time here at Cherish Toronto, but I'm hoping to get back into the rhythm again soon.

A buying trip to LA at the end of March kicked off the busy season at my job, where we operate clothing retail stores at beach locations. In addition to my numerous regular duties, I tend to volunteer for extra work, but it's only because I have so many great ideas :-) For example, among several other projects I thought it would be a good idea to create fabric banners for one front window. These banners serve three purposes: (1) block out the hot afternoon sun, (2) provide a backdrop for mannequins, (3) conceal a messy cash counter.

Project Requirements:

6 wooden dowels, each 30" in length
6 eye hooks
3 yards of 110" wide fabric
fishing line
6 strong magnets

I got a great deal on this 110" wide printed cotton at
Designer Fabrics - total $30.00!


I turned and stitched the sides of each panel, and also stitched in a rod pocket at the top and bottom for the wooden dowels. Then I screwed eye hooks into the ends of the top dowels, and attached fish line to suspend the panels from the ceiling. Because this store has an industrial metal ceiling, I tied the other end of the fish line to strong magnets to hold each panel in place. Voila! A fun and functional window display:


For those of you who are curious about what I do, I generally don't mix my "real" job with my personal pursuits, which is why I haven't mentioned the store names. But just for fun, I'll reveal a few photos from inside the store:



Cheers to a great summer season!!!

2 comments:

I love receiving comments, plus it lets me know that you're reading!! Leave your message here :-)