Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sarah 101: Episode 5 Jewel-Like Dining


Tonight's episode of Sarah 101 on HGTV was right up my alley. I liked so many things about this room, I don't know where to start. Well okay, how about the dynamic Nina Campbell Stradivari wallpaper? Or the amazing set of 6 shield back chairs from The Elegant Garage Sale? And who can forget the gorgeous flamed mahogany dining table Sarah & Tommy found at Of Things Past? Everything came together in this room to add character to a blank space, and create a warm and inviting place to entertain.


Searching to add pattern and interest to the walls, Sarah & Tommy spotted a gorgeous lyrical wallpaper design from Nina Campbell. The "embellishment" adds a contemporary touch to the room's traditional bones. Below the chair rail, panel molding is applied to the walls and painted in three shades of Sarah's Designer Palette: Fog (SR27) on the inside, Oyster (SR3) on the outside, and trimmed with Snowfall (SR29) to set it all off.


Using the wallpaper as their guide, Sarah & Tommy selected fabrics for the shield back dining room chairs. They chose to use a combination of fabrics, pairing a casual geometric cotton on the seat and inside back, together with an elegant embroidered silk on the outside back. After repair, refinishing and reupholstering, the final cost of these chairs was approximately $400 each. They may not be cheap, but they are one of a kind, and they are stunning!!




With so many other strong elements in the room, the drapery was kept simple, made from a simple twill with a slight sheen, and embellished with greek key trim and pink ribbon detail. Sarah mentions how repeating a particular motif in a room creates a unified look. The ribbon detail along the edge of the curtain echoes the pattern painted on the floor, and this same pattern is repeated again in the mirror over the sideboard and the molding on the door.





I really enjoyed this episode, and I can't wait to see what Tommy & Sarah do next week! How about you?

All photos courtesy of HGTV Canada.

6 comments:

  1. I missed this episode, but I think I like this room the best yet. Certain elements I just love like wallpaper, fabrics and Greek key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is my favourite so far. .. .though i'm hearing mix reviews. .some finds this room too granny.. . well i have to say i'm not too sure about the $75 art work. .. .but hey, everything else is super amazing!

    had another look... actually not too crazy about the other two yellow chairs.. ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's something about this series that's risky, I find she's taking chances in design that we haven't seen as much in previous shows. It's probably the first series where she's allowed to take as many chances as she wants though, and for that I'm interested to see the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I just wanted to thank you for posting these recaps. I am a Sarah fan in the U.S., and we are unable to see Sarah 101. These are helping to tide me over! Thank you and cheers,

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched this show this morning and I really like the colour, texture and design elements used. I wish I had found the piece of art on the wall as I think it's really beautiful. Young guy here who wishes this was my dining room. I have similar colours and elements in my current dining room and I am thinking about adding some of the wallpaper, chair-rail and trim elements. Way to go guys. Anyone who says it's too formal, too granny or whatever. I say, it's nice to see some traditional design. I am so tired of the modern contemporary designs that so many shows opt for these days! I think there are lots of people like me who like this look. Keep on doing it like this please.

    Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello - those shield back chairs, did she cover them herself and if so, where can I find that fabric? I LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments, plus it lets me know that you're reading!! Leave your message here :-)