Saturday, February 6, 2010

Thrifting Tips

I don't think I've mentioned Value Village or Salvation Army Thrift for quite awhile. It's not that I haven't been making routine visits, but I haven't had much luck lately and this type of treasure hunting requires patience. Mind you, I did pass on an entire box full of Enoch Wedgwood Kent china selling for $25.00 at the Salvation Army Thrift Store in Peterborough. Now I see it selling on ebay for a minimum of $5 apiece. Shoulda, woulda, coulda!!

My 3 Thrifing Tips:
  1. Have patience and treat each visit to the thrift shop as the next potential jackpot. Visit as often as you can, since the best items will come & go in a day.
  2. When your instincts tell you that it's worth far more than the ticket price, buy it. Even if you don't really need it, you can always resell it on Ebay or Etsy for a tidy profit.
  3. If you're debating over a piece that's tarnished and black, buy it. Tarnished pieces are always undervalued because they just don't look good. A little silver polish and elbow grease will turn your ugly duckling into a beautiful swan.
Found this tarnished Salt & Pepper set for $2.99:


Pulled out the Silvo:


And Presto!! Shiny silverplate:


Good luck thrifting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments, plus it lets me know that you're reading!! Leave your message here :-)