Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tile Profile: Penny Rounds

If you're thinking about doing an affordable little cosmetic reno in your bathroom or kitchen, you must find a way to incorporate penny rounds into the design!! I've been thinking how fabulous penny rounds would look as a backsplash in my kitchen as a replacement for the 1x1 tiles. When used as an accent these tiles make a stunning visual impact.

The Saltillo Tile booth at the IDS had many, many fabulous tile options, but I hold a soft spot for the 1" diameter penny rounds that I spotted:


Penny rounds were featured in Domino Magazine as a kitchen backsplash:


Recently, Anna at doorsixteen used black penny rounds to tile her bathroom floor:


Penny Rounds are available in more than just black & white. As featured over at Apartment Therapy:




Or how about metallic as backsplash in a gourmet kitchen? These available through Instile:

Stainless Steel

Copper

And my personal favourite, this glazed porcelain mosaic, available through Mosaic Tile Supplies for $9.95 USD per sheet:
Most penny rounds are available in 12"x 12" sheets, so to cover a kitchen backsplash that measures 12 square feet, you'd only need to purchase 12 units of tile. A small investment for a BIG impact!!

4 comments:

  1. We have just tiled our bathroom floor with penny tiles! I will soon post pictures on my blog.

    I love the look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the middle of doing this with actual pennies. Laying them out one by one... Any advice on grout colour or a sealant clear-coat for over top? http://instagr.am/p/DkAwB/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the inspirational tile post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has anyone done or seen stainless steel penny tiles on the floor?

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments, plus it lets me know that you're reading!! Leave your message here :-)